Wednesday, May 11, 2016

FLARES + 70'S VIBE









Top- Forever 21 {L}, I couldn't find it online, but here are a ton of cute options | Jeans {2} Run SUPER long so consider tailoring or ordering petite | Tote, Similar here | Lips Indie Flick

I feel like if I had a picture of my Marme in the 70's it would probably look super similar to this! Flares are back in a big way, and I, for one, am so excited! I held onto my flare jeans with a death grip until I could hold on no longer and had to finally embrace skinnies. But as the flares have returned, I'm seeing that they are so much more than just another jean option. I wore the flares of my middle and high school days simply because they were the only acceptable cut to wear, but flares of today are more of a fashion statement. They're taking outfits that were just "cute" with skinnies to a whole new level. Example: This off the shoulder top- super cute, right? It would look good with skinny jeans, but switch them out for a flare and the whole look is transformed. It isn't just jeans and an off the shoulder blouse anymore; it's a fashion statement with an ode to the 70's. 

Don't get me wrong, I was super nervous to go with flares again because, girl, I do not have the body I had in high school anymore. I put flares on again for the first time in...a WHILE...and thought my thighs were staging a mutiny and taking over! *tad dramatic* Don't get discouraged though! Keep an open mind, and keep trying them out until you find some you're confident in. Really, it's all about how you decide to style them so here are a few tips: 
1. Please don't wear them with flats. Just don't. You need the extra height of a platform/wedge to give your legs the appearance of being longer, thus slimmer! If you need to get them tailored, do it! Dragging hems on the ground until they're ragged and holy is not cute. 
2. Go for a higher rise waist! This helps slim your waist and hold everything in {if you know what I mean ;)}
3. Don't be scared to play around with your tops! The fun part is that flare jeans seriously expand your wardrobe options! You can go with a cropped top like I did here, tuck in a fitted sweater or shirt,  add a kimono (this look is coming soon), rock a poncho like mah girl did here, or throw on a fitted button up and wide belt for a put together, structured look. The options are endless. 

On a different note, here are a few fun/embarrassing photos of my wearing flares back in the day. Both of these were my first years of college because this actually proved harder than I thought. Apparently back then, I did not care as much about getting my "whole outfit" in the pic! ha! 
I coached a middle school cheerleading squad for 5 years after HS, and I loved every minute of it. Definitely one of my biggest passions! 

Obviously before I followed rules 1-3 listed above. ;)

So what do you think of flares? Are you going to give them a go again this time around? 

Thanks for reading! Have a great day! 

XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment