Saturday, May 30, 2015

Faux-lligraphy

I have always loved writing pretty. I was the person who would take notes in class and then go home and recopy them in my best handwriting so that I could study pretty notes. I would always doodle and practice making my handwriting as cute as possible. It wasn't until I decided that I wanted our wedding invite envelopes addressed with calligraphy and found out just how much actual calligraphers cost that I started toying with the possibility of learning to do actual calligraphy myself! I watched videos, read articles, and recently even took a short online class on "writing pretty." 

After PLENTY of messed up envelopes and a lot of practice, I have to say that I actually LOVED how the addresses on our wedding envelopes turned out! I can't say that I am a professional by any stretch of the imagination, but I am a pretty good "faux-lligrapher!" What in the world is faux-lligraphy you may ask? Easy. It is an easy way to make normal handwriting look like calligraphy! 

Let me show you my best faux-lligraphy and how I achieve it!

All you need is paper and a pen. Here I'm using a sharpie, but you can use a regular pen, a thin sharpie, or any other type of writing utensil really. It's up to you how thick you want

Step 1: Write a phrase in normal cursive handwriting. 
Not so great, right? Don't worry, in the next steps, you can fix the imperfections. 

Step 2: Retrace all the downstrokes with a thicker line. 

Step 3: Voila! Faux-lligraphy! 

This fake-it-til-you-make-it technique works for all different handwriting styles! 

These are two of my favorites...
There's the fun, bubbly cursive!

Then, this cursive which I also love, but I'm not sure how to describe!

Here's how our wedding invites turned out after I did them all myself! 

Now that I know how to fake it, I'm working on making it ;) I've been practicing my real calligraphy with a calligraphy set Marme gave me for Christmas that is perfect for beginners. It comes with an instruction manual and all the tools you'll need to learn beautiful calligraphy! 

Amazing calligraphy set by LHCalligraphy. Gorgeous packaging and branding!



Thanks for reading! 

CASSIDY RAE





No comments:

Post a Comment